Sunday, April 10, 2016

Celebrating Failure

1) Many times this semester, there have been projects assigned in my Java programming class. I'm new to coding so I have to study a fair amount and take the class very seriously. 
Every time the project was due I started the day before and then worked non stop until the dead-line and I ended up not finishing the project. I tried very hard at the last minute yet was not able to complete it and I felt horrible about myself after. Like I wasn't smart enough. Like I worked for nothing. Not to mention, I lost a lot of sleep.
2)I learned that preparation and timeliness are more important than how much work you put into something. In life, nothing goes as planned. So I need to give myself extra time than I think on something that needs to get done. It has taught me that planning and asking for help are things that need to be done from the start.
3) Failure is very painful I would say. After a good beating, you can only feel bad for yourself and then get angry at the fact that you're feeling sorry for yourself! In life there are no excuses, only results. It is a stinging feeling that reminds you that you are not perfect. Although the feelings fade the memory lingers. The strong emotions have engraved a painful memory into your head. But now every time you give it another go (Because life makes you do things many times) , that memory helps you remember to take a different course or else that same emotion will return. Stressful times are moments that we want to fast forward and they might completely break us down. Yet, they give us strong remembrance of something that we shouldn't do and we the refer to this as experience. Succeeding is much easier with experience and therefore failure is necessary to succeed.

This class has helped me embrace that unpleasant things are not entirely that way. It has made me want to embrace more and fail more so that I can get more out of life and get to where I want to be.

3 comments:

  1. I, too, can say that procrastination is my worst enemy at school. Sometimes I am overloaded with work from other courses and I put an assignment to the side until the very last minute to complete it. I used to get frustrated and angry at myself whenever I did not succeed at something the first time, but I grew to accept and overcome this habit of mine, like how you used the negative feelings you experienced to push you to do better in the future. Good job on this post. Here's my link: http://entintheair.blogspot.com/2016/04/celebrating-failure.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin, I will agree with you 100% that when life knocks you down you just need to get back up and not feel sorry for yourself ( too long ). Everyone's situation is different and I think people are allowed a quick moment of time to tell themselves yup I just failed, and then immediately move on. I liked your post, come check out mine at http://stephenclegg.blogspot.com/2016/04/celebrating-failure.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kevin, procrastination is seriously the worst problem I think that most college students struggle with, especially me. It's weird how procrastination works, you knowingly put things off, understanding the consequences, yet you do it anyway. You simply try to rationalize that you'll "just work on it all day tomorrow", but then something else comes up and now you're two days behind. It's probably one of the most annoying things when you get a bad grade simply because you procrastinated and the result was just you throwing something together in a panic, not because you weren't smart enough or capable. Feel free to check out my post here, http://jessjohns1.blogspot.com/2016/04/celebrating-failure.html

    ReplyDelete